11/23/2008: "When The Prospective Client Says You Charge Too Much"
Probably one of the most common and most frustrating issues we copywriters have is the many prospective clients who don't feel our services are worth what we charge.
While about 10% of the people who contact most of us are professional business people and know to expect the sort of fees we charge and who know the value of our service, the other 90% haven't got a clue.
For example, just the other day I quoted a job for a short outgoing telemarketing broadcast script. Granted, the script was to be just 45 seconds. But, we all know it takes more effort to write a great sales message in a few words than a few thousand.
"I didn't expect to pay so much because it's so short," he says.
So, what do you say to a person who gives you this objection? You tell him the simple truth. Here what I told this man.
"I understand how you feel. Most people who contact me are not prepared for the fees a professional copywriter charges. But I don't charge by the word, page or hour. You don't pay for the amount of words, pages or hours. You pay for SALES. And that's what I give you."
Let's take slogans for example. A slogan is from one word to perhaps seven. Do you think Nike paid $5.00 per word for the words, "Just Do It"? I don't think so. In fact, those three words are invaluable to Nike. And no doubt Nike paid a tremendous amount of money for those three words.
Today, the eight-letter phrase is among the two or three slogans rated most memorable in advertising history, and Nike is the world's largest sporting goods maker.
Nike pays millions of dollars for advertising. These few words made Nike the brand that beat out Reebok. And it's been the leader since.
So, when your clients say, "You charge too much," you tell them the Nike story. No one in his right mind can deny the value of just a few words --- not if they're the right few words.